Today, we feature a warm and comforting soup – perfect for a cold February day! This recipe comes from our Ambrosia Apples Cookbook – which you can receive for free when you register for our monthly newsletter! To get your free copy, visit this link and sign up with your email address: Click Here
This recipe features Ambrosia apples and Kabocha squash, both widely available after the fall harvest!
According to WebMD, here are some of the health benefits of Kabocha squash:
- Improves blood sugar levels
- Kabocha squash is lower in calories and carbohydrates than a sweet potato
- Prevents oxidative damage
- Inhibits cancer growth
- Decreases blood pressure and protects heart health
- Improves eye health
- Promotes skin health
Combined with the nourishing herbs and spices and Ambrosia apples, this is a beautiful recipe to help support your healthy lifestyle!
Ambrosia Apple and Kobacha Squash Soup
created by Darcy Nybo
- 4 medium Ambrosia apples, peeled, cored and diced
- 1 medium baked and diced Kabocha squash with seeds removed
- 1 medium red onion, chopped fine
- 5 ml rosemary balsamic vinegar
- 1 zested lime
- 14 ml of turmeric
- 30 ml of curry
- 5 ml paprika
- 5 ml cinnamon
- 5 ml cayenne
- 5 ml dried thyme
- 5 ml salt
- 5 ml fresh ground pepper
- 1/2 can of reduced-fat coconut milk
- 240 ml vegetable stock
- 30 ml olive oil
- almonds, sunflower or pumpkin seeds
Roast squash in an oven at 350°F until tender. Let cool. Scoop out and place in a bowl—heat oil in a large pot on medium heat.
Add onions until softened. Add apples to soften, stirring occasionally.
Add in cinnamon, cayenne, paprika, curry, turmeric and thyme.
Pour in half the vegetable stock and add balsamic vinegar and lemon zest. Mix well and let simmer for five minutes.
Add squash and coconut milk to the mixture and let it cool slightly. Use a hand blender to puree the soup in the pot. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Pour in bowls and garnish with sunflowers seeds, almonds, roasted pumpkin seeds, pomegranate seeds, or whatever else strikes your fancy!
Share your photos and recipes with us on Social Media by tagging #Ambrosiaapples and #AmbrosiaTestKitchen.