Ambrosia Apple and Spicy Shrimp Skewers [Recipe]
This recipe is sweet, spicy, and hot off the grill!
It’s grilling season and that means it’s time to get the Ambrosia apples on the BBQ.
What, you’ve never tried grilled Ambrosia apples? They’re especially good apples to grill because they’re crisp (so they hold up well on the BBQ) not mealy. Plus, the sweet-tart juices are released during grilling leaving a delicious caramelized apple flavour. You can add grilled Ambrosia apples to burgers, serve them up with a touch of ice cream for dessert, or (as in this case), add a bit of spice and pair them with a protein like shrimp.
Here’s the ultra simple way we prepare our Ambrosia Apple and Spicy Shrimp Skewers.
- 2 Ambrosia Apples
- 30 large shrimp (thawed, shelled and deveined)
- ¾ cup honey
- ¼ cup hot sauce (Sriracha if you like it spicy)
- 3 tsp minced garlic
- 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste
You will also need about 12 large skewers (metal or pre-soaked wooden).
- Preheat grill.
- Place honey, hot sauce, garlic, and vinegar into a bowl. Whisk until sauce is thoroughly combined.
- Place cleaned shrimp in sauce and toss until shrimp are fully coated. Allow them to marinate while you prepare the apples.
- Core Ambrosia apples and cut into 4 wedges. Cut wedges in half so you end up with 8 half wedges from each apple. The Ambrosia apple chunks should be big enough to skewer.
- Skewer shrimp (have the skewer pass through the shrimp at two points to form a ‘c’) then add an Ambrosia apple chunk to the skewer. Pierce the apple through the skin for maximum stability. Alternate between shrimp and apple until skewer is full but not too crowded.
- Once all skewers are prepared, place them on the grill for about 3 minutes per side or until the shrimp are fully cooked.
- Remove from grill (allow metal skewers to cook) and serve.
These skewers are great to bring to a BBQ. To make them a meal, try serving them with a Ceasar salad, or on a bed of lightly dressed greens.