Ambrosia Apple Muffins [Recipe]
Healthy, Tasty, and Convenient
These muffins are great as a grab-and-go breakfast or a snack with afternoon tea. They’re loaded with healthy fats thanks to the flax seeds and nuts. You’ll find them to be sweet (thanks to the Ambrosia apples) and moist.
These muffins may be packed with Ambrosia apples but that doesn’t stop us from adding a healthy smear of Turmeric Ambrosia Apple butter! You can also enjoy them with a nut or seed butter, or a slice of cheddar. They’re very versatile!
- 1 ¼ cups flax meal
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- 2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 ½ tsp. baking soda
- 2 cups milk
- 3 tsp. lemon juice
- 2 egg whites
- 4 Tbsp. honey
- 1 ½ Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 ½ tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 cup coarsely shredded Ambrosia apple (about 1 large apple)
- Butter or oil for coating muffin tray (if not using paper liners or silicone trays)
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Lightly grease muffin cups (12) with butter or oil. Or, place paper liners into muffin tray.
- Combine flax meal, both flours, nuts, cinnamon, and baking soda in a large bowl until well mixed.
- Combine milk and lemon juice in a medium bowl and let stand for 1 minute.
- Add all remaining ingredients except the Ambrosia apple. Whisk until blended.
- Add Ambrosia apple to wet ingredients.
- Add wet mixture to dry ingredients. Mix until fully incorporated.
- Scoop mixture into muffin tray cups, dividing evenly.
- Bake for 20 – 25 minutes. Muffins are done when a toothpick inserted in the middle of a muffin comes out clean.
- Take the tray out of the oven and leave to cool on a rack.
Once cool, these muffins can be frozen. That is, if they don’t get eaten while they’re still warm!