Ambrosia Cookbook & Recipe
Winter is in full swing, and we sure feel the chill! Warm meals are necessary this time of year, and there is nothing better than a beautiful pot of comforting soup! In the test kitchen, we are making a beloved recipe from the Ambrosia Apple Lover’s Cookbook – “Ambrosia Apple, Sage and Celeriac Soup”.
Do you have a copy of this cookbook? This collection of loved recipes is our gift when you sign up for the newsletter! If you no longer have your copy you can find it HERE.
Sign up for the Newsletter and you will receive your copy of this great book! Make sure to download and save the PDF to your computer or print it! We hope you love this collection of recipes as much as we do.
Our recipe today was created by Jennifer Schell, Author of The Butcher, the Baker, The Wine & Cheese Maker. This recipe is sure to impress your guests and dazzle your tastebuds!
One of the main ingredients – celeriac, pairs wonderfully with the sweetness of Ambrosia apples in this soup. Fragrant, savoury, sweet and full of health-boosting nutrients! Here is a quick look at a few of the powerhouse ingredients and their benefits:
- Celeriac – High in Vitamins B6, C & K (1)
- Ambrosia apples – Rich in Antioxidants (2)
- Sage – An essential medicinal herb traditionally used around the world for treating many ailments! (3)
This is perfect for this time of year! Let’s get cooking.
Ambrosia Apple, Sage and Celeriac Soup
- 1 large celeriac, peeled and cubed
- 2 large Ambrosia apples, peeled and cubed
- 1 medium ‘Walla Walla’ onion, sliced
- 10 sage leaves
- 5 sprigs of thyme
- 1.5 litres organic chicken stock
- extra virgin olive oil for roasting
- baguette, sliced and toasted
- Naramata Bench Blue Cheese (Cambozola or
other blue cheese works perfectly)
- walnuts, toasted
- small sage leaves, fried to crisp
- parsley, finely chopped
- Maldon sea salt if needed
- Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F).
- In a large roasting pan toss celeriac, onion, apples, thyme and sage, season with a bit of salt and a good drizzle of extra virgin olive oil.
- Put in a heated oven, stirring occasionally, until the celeriac has softened but not coloured. Transfer from the roasting pan into a saucepan and add chicken stock. Simmer for 20 minutes until the apple and celeriac are soft.
- Remove from heat; use a hand blender to whizz into creamy perfection (make sure to remove thyme twigs).
- Prepare Crostini garnish: Toast baguette rounds.
- Top with a thick smear of cheese, walnuts and a fried sage leaf. Ladle soup into bowls and float Crostini in the centre of the bowl. Sprinkle with parsley and extra chopped walnuts.
Do you have a story to share? Be sure to tag us… #AmbrosiaApples
Would you like your recipe featured? Make sure to tag #Ambrosiaapples and #AmbrosiaKitchen and your photo may be featured next month!
We love to hear from you, so keep the comments and posts coming! #AmbrosiaApples #AmbrosiaAppleADay #AmbrosiaHarvest